With vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG), a large part of your stomach is removed, leaving a thin, banana- or sleeve-shaped stomach.
The gastric sleeve surgery works in two basic ways:
- Stomach size is reduced, providing satisfaction with less food
- Hunger hormones are reduced, causing less hunger and interest in food
Gastric sleeve surgery is almost always performed through small incisions. This surgery uses several small incisions instead of one large incision, causing less discomfort. It allows you to return to normal activities more quickly.
Weight loss surgery is effective for permanent weight loss. To gain the greatest results, you must have lifestyle habits that support a healthy weight before and after your surgery.
Studies prove vertical sleeve gastrectomy:
- Resolves type 2 diabetes in 70 percent of patients after surgery
- Resolves or improves high blood pressure in 75 percent of patients
- Reduces high cholesterol in 78.4 percent of patients
These improvements are comparable to those seen after other weight loss surgeries.
Quality of Life
Quality of life studies have found that those who had bariatric surgery:
- Felt better and had more energy
- Spent more time participating in recreational and physical activities
- Were more productive and had greater economic opportunities
- Had more self-confidence than before surgery
On average, studies find that vertical sleeve gastrectomy patients are able to:
- Leave the hospital after one or two days
- Return to work in less than two weeks
You should supplement your diet with a daily multivitamin and calcium since you may not meet the recommended dietary intake.