Roasted Beet, Butternut Squash, Basil & Goat Cheese Salad
Prep Time - 15 minutes
Cook Time - 30 minutes
Total Time - 45 minutes
A fiesta of colors, flavors, textures and deliciousness! The beets, butternut and carrots are roasted in the oven, then scattered with goat cheese and fresh basil. It's simple, healthy and amazingly good.
- 5 beets
- 1 small butternut squash
- 3-4 large carrots
- 1 small handful fresh basil, about 3 sprigs
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt & ground black pepper
- 2 ounces goat cheese, such as a soft, garlic & herb goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice off the tops and roots of the beets, then peel them with a potato peeler. Slice into quarters; if they are large beets cut them into eighths. (You may want to wear an apron and plastic gloves for this step!)
- Peel the butternut, take out the seeds with a spoon and slice the butternut into 1-inch pieces.
- Peel the carrots and slice into 1/4-inch round slices.
- Place the vegetables on a baking tray and drizzle with about 2 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & ground black pepper, and give them a good toss so they are all coated. Scatter over the basil leaves.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning the vegetables half way through to ensure even cooking.
- Let the vegetables cool on the baking tray before piling onto a salad platter. Top with goat cheese and some fresh basil for garnish and serve.
You also can use soft feta cheese for this salad, or shavings of parmesan. Throw some pumpkin seeds over the salad before you serve it for a little crunch and extra goodness.
Servings - 6, calories - 162 cal