No-Flour, Low-Sugar Peppermint Mocha Cookies
This little chocolate cookie has a secret. Instead of butter, you're using heart-healthy avocado as the source of fat. Shhhhh! Don't tell anybody, and we won't either.
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. baking cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. good quality instant coffee (decaf or regular - your choice!)
- 2-4 tbsp. Sola granular (or your sweetener of choice, equivalent to 2 tbsp. sugar.)
- 1/2 large egg (Or 2 tbsp. Egg Beaters)
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 or 3 sugar-free peppermint and/or spearmint candies, crushed
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa and instant coffee and stir well. Set aside. In another bowl, mix avocado and sweetener, preferably with a hand mixer to work out the lumps in the avocado. After fully combined, add egg and vanilla.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix thoroughly, being careful to work out any lumps in the almond flour. Consistency should be of a soft cookie dough. If it is more like cake batter, add another tablespoon of almond flour and mix well before refrigerating for 30 minutes.
4. Drop spoonfuls of dough into two rows on your cookie sheet, then flatten the dough with a spoon to form a disc.
5. Bake for 12 minutes, then remove from the oven, sprinkle each with a little bit of crushed mint candy, and allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, before transferring to a cooling rack.
Makes 10-12 cookies