Italian Eggplant Pizzas
Serving Size: 2 eggplant pizza rounds
Yields: 6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
These mini pizzas are great as an appetizer or snack, or can serve as a meal by themselves; especially if you are looking for some variety when on the soft diet. Plus, it's a great way to include eggplant in your diet, a vegetable rich in potassium and fiber yet often overlooked at the farmer's market or grocery store. Mix up your toppings and even the cheese you use to create some variety on these mini low-carb pizzas.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/4-1/2-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup Marinara Sauce with Italian herbs
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Put the eggplant rounds on paper towels and sprinkle them with the salt. Let them sit for 10 to 15 minutes to help release some of the water in the eggplant. Pat dry afterward. It’s okay to wipe off some of the salt before baking.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic, and oregano
- Place the eggplant rounds 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, coat each side of the eggplant with the olive oil mixture. Bake the eggplant for 15 minutes.
- Create pizzas by layering 1 to 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce, 2 basil leaves, 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese and ½ teaspoon Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on each baked eggplant round.
- Bake the pizzas for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts: 100 calories, 6g fat, 5g protein, 7g carbs, 2g fiber
Source: The Gastric Sleeve Bariatric Cookbook