Chicken “Nachos” with Sweet Bell Peppers
Make a simple swap of fried tortilla chips for crispy, sweet bell peppers. No one will notice the chips are missing!
Prep time 10 minutes; cook time 25 minutes
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 pound package of mini bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and halved
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, minced
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast (see ingredient tip)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- 3 scallions, finely sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, thinly sliced (optional)
Ingredient tip: for the chicken, you can shred leftovers from a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat the foil with cooking spray.
- Arrange the bell pepper halves on the baking sheet cut-side up.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 1 to 2 minutes, or until tender. Add the chicken, tomato, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the tomato has softened and the chicken is heated through.
- Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture into each mini bell pepper half. Top each with the cheese, black olives, scallions, and jalapeno (if using).
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese has melted and browned. Enjoy immediately.
Serving tip:Turn these nachos into a well-rounded meal by serving with a side of refried black beans and topping with fresh avocado slices.
Serving Size: 2 mini stuffed bell pepper halves
Yields: 8 servings
Nutrition Facts: 190 calories, 3g fat, 29g protein, 9g carbs, 2g fiber
Source: The Gastric Sleeve Bariatric Cookbook