Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup with Bacon
- 1/2 lb broccoli, cut in florets
- 1 1/2 lbs cauliflower, cut in florets
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 slices bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a large skillet, cook bacon to desired crispiness. Drain off fat, chop, and set aside. Mix onion powder, garlic powder, and thyme in a small bowl.
2. In a large pot or Dutch oven, add water, chicken broth, cauliflower, broccoli, and a dash of salt and ground black pepper; cover and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
3. After simmering for 4 or 5 minutes, add butter and Half & Half to the cauliflower and broccoli and stir well to combine. Then, add cheese and stir slowly until melted. Add 2/3 of the cooked bacon and season with the mixed spices and herbs. Adjust the soup’s seasoning with salt and ground black pepper, to taste. Cover and simmer for another 5 to 8 minutes on low, stirring occasionally. Makes 10 servings.
- If you like your soup silky-smooth, use an immersion blender and pulse until smooth.
- Add crispy croutons as a deliciously crunchy garnish to the soup.
- To make it vegan, use vegetable broth, coconut milk or coconut cream instead of Half & Half, and omit cheese and bacon. Sprinkle nutritional yeast on top.
- Add a kick of spice by adding a good drizzle of hot sauce to the cauliflower broccoli soup – such as Sriracha or Cholula