5 Benefits of Attending a Support Group
We’ve all heard that having a good support system is important after bariatric surgery, but family, friends or spouses that haven’t gone through the surgery don’t always understand how best to support you. Our bariatric support group at Bryan is a place where people can share personal experiences and feelings, discuss coping strategies, and give firsthand information about their journey.
Here are some of the main reasons to attend a support group:
- Attendance is linked to more weight loss after bariatric surgery
- Can get practical feedback
- Improve understanding of a disease
- Learn about resources for patients and families
- A chance to build a broader social network (who doesn’t like making new friends?!)
Besides all of those things, it’s a chance to help out someone else who might be struggling with something you have struggled with in the past. And sometimes it’s just comforting being around people who share a common experience.
Attend one of our monthly support groups that take place the 2nd Thursday of every month from 5:45-6:45 p.m. at the Bryan West Campus Plaza (West Classroom 1 next to the Gregorius Conference Center). For more questions regarding our support group, please call 481-5490.