Zucchini Cupcakes with Greek Yogurt Frosting Recipe
Ingredients for Zucchini Cupcakes with Greek Yogurt Frosting
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/4 cup raw sugar
• 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
• 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp. baking powder
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. baking soda
• 2 eggs
• 1/4 cup fat-free milk
• 1 cup cooked quinoa
• 1 cup shredded zucchini
• 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 1 tsp. vanilla Greek Yogurt Frosting:
• 6 oz. plain fat-free Greek Yogurt
• 2 Tbsp light agave nectar
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• 1 tsp. lemon peel (as garnish)
Serving Size: 1 cupcake + 2 Tbsp frosting
Calories: 150 • Fat: 1.5 g • Fiber: 2.6 g • Protein: 6 g • WW Points+: 4 pts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the quinoa, rinse 1/3 cup of uncooked quinoa in cold water and place in a small saucepan with 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for an additional 5 minutes, keeping quinoa covered. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside. In a large bowl using your stand mixer (or hand held), beat together eggs and milk. Then add in the quinoa, zucchini, applesauce and vanilla and stir until well-mixed. Add zucchini mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until just combined (careful not to over stir).
- In a muffin pan coated with cooking spray, fill each cup about 3/4ths full with batter and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for about 5 minutes before frosting.
- To make the frosting: In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, agave nectar and vanilla until smooth. Spread evenly among muffins and garnish with lemon peel, if desired. Enjoy!