Spiced Pumpkin Biscuits
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons honey
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Chill 10 minutes.
3. Combine buttermilk and honey, stirring with a whisk until well blended; add canned pumpkin. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times. Roll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds (as if folding a piece of paper to fit into an envelope). Reroll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds; gently roll or pat to a 3/4-inch thickness.
5. Cut dough with a 1 3/4-inch biscuit cutter to form 14 dough rounds. Place dough rounds, 1 inch apart, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400° for 14 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan; cool 2 minutes on wire racks. Serve warm.
Yield: 14 biscuits; serving size is one biscuit
Calories: 122, Fat: 4.3g, Saturated Fat: 2.6g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1.1g, Protein: 2.3g, Carbohydrates: 18.9g, Fiber: 0.9g, Cholesterol: 11mg, Iron: 1.1mg, Sodium: 192mg, Calcium: 59mg