Marinated Vegetable Salad
Serving this salad combo at room temperature helps the full flavor of the veggies come through.
- 2 medium medium tomatoes or 4 plum tomatoes
- 1 medium green sweet pepper
- 1 small zucchini or yellow summer squash, thinly sliced (about 1¼ cups)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or basil or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or basil, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pine nuts, toasted (optional)
Cut tomatoes into wedges. Cut sweet pepper into small squares. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, sweet pepper, zucchini, red onion and parsley; set aside.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar, combine oil, vinegar, the water, thyme or basil and garlic. Cover; shake well. Pour over vegetable mixture. Toss lightly to coat.
- Let mixture stand at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Or cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours, stirring once or twice. Let stand at room temperature about 30 minutes before serving.) If desired, garnish with pine nuts (see Tip). Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Tip: To toast pine nuts, spread in a shallow baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 350°F oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden, shaking pan once or twice.