We'll help you control your diabetes during pregnancy for a safe delivery and healthy baby
About 10 percent of women who do not have diabetes develop diabetes during pregnancy. This is called Gestational Diabetes. Becoming educated on what to do to control gestational diabetes during pregnancy is important for you and your baby. We are here to help you.
The Bryan gestational diabetes team includes experts who will help you understand what gestational diabetes is, learn how to improve your blood sugar levels and will coordinate care with your doctor. You will continue to see your doctor throughout your pregnancy.
Supporting You Through Your Pregnancy
During your first appointment, you will:
- Meet with a registered dietitian/certified diabetes educator who will provide information on gestational diabetes and how to manage risks to help you have a safe pregnancy
- Learn how to use a blood glucose monitor and the target range for your blood sugar levels
- Learn about the importance of carbohydrate counting and exercise to control blood sugar levels
For the remainder of your pregnancy, you will meet with our registered dietitian/certified diabetes educator. Our goal is to help you control your blood sugar levels through diet and exercise. To do this, we'll meet with you to:
- Review your food journals and blood glucose logs
- Closely monitor your carbohydrate intake
- Assess and provide information and support for physical activity
We're here to help and support you through your pregnancy.
Your doctor will refer you for Gestational Diabetes education and monitoring. These services are covered by most insurance companies. If you have questions, please call us at 402-481-6305.