Explore options available to you
Bryan offers the following options to treat and manage your asthma:
New Treatment for Severe Asthma
Bronchial Thermoplasty treats severe asthma, so you'll breathe easy
Does asthma limit your life? Severe asthma can be a life-stopper. How much is asthma controlling your life?
- Have you missed work due to asthma?
- Changed your daily activities?
- Had to go to the emergency department?
If you continue to have asthma attacks even though you’re taking asthma medications, bronchial thermoplasty may be the right treatment for you.
Asthma is a chronic inflammatory condition of the airways characterized by periodic symptoms of breathlessness, coughing and wheezing. Chronic airway inflammation can lead to an increase in thickness of airway smooth muscle (ASM), which causes airflow constriction and difficulty breathing.
Bronchial Thermoplasty (BT):
- Is a safe, outpatient procedure that has been approved by the Food & Drug Administration and recommended by the Global Asthma Initiative
- Is a non-invasive treatment using mild heat (radio frequency energy) to reduce the amount of airway and to smooth muscle tissue
- Reduces airway constriction, allowing patients to breathe easier
- Works with your asthma medications to give you long-lasting control of asthma
- Significantly improves the quality of life for those with severe asthma
In a clinical study of patients with severe asthma, one-year following BT treatment patients had:
- 84% fewer ED visits for respiratory symptoms
- 73% fewer hospitalizations for respiratory symptoms
- 66% fewer lost days from work and daily activities
- 32% fewer asthma attacks (severe exacerbations)
Sharon's Story – Treatment controls her severe asthma and changes her life
Is BT Right for You?
To be a good candidate for BT treatment, you should:
- Be an adult between 18-65 years old
- Be a non-smoker for at least the past year
- Have severe or persistent asthma not well controlled by inhaled corticosteroids or long-acting bronchodilator medications
BT is available at Bryan Medical Center by physicians with Nebraska Pulmonary Specialties.
Severe Asthma Clinic
Asthma is a common condition. It can be minor, but also can interfere with your daily life and be life-threatening. If you have severe asthma, you have a place to turn for help.
The Bryan Severe Asthma Clinic can help you:
- Identify asthma triggers
- Determine the best medications for you
- Identify ways to help you manage your asthma
- Tell you about specialized therapies if medication alone is not helping
Schedule an Evaluation
If you need help with your severe asthma, schedule an evaluation. Call 402-481-8901. Your current doctor will be kept informed, and given the opportunity to participate in your care.