Written by Stephanie Scott, RD, LMNT
June 1, 2018
When the afternoon rolls around at work and you want something to munch on to tide you over until supper, don’t reach for cookies or a bag of chips. Instead choose something that will truly satisfy you and soothe those hunger pangs. Foods like chips, cookies, and soda are full of empty calories that may satisfy your taste buds for a moment or two, but will not keep your stomach full for long. Make smart snack choices by choosing foods that are high in protein, fiber, and water to fill you up, and high in vitamins and minerals to give your body the nutrients it needs to work properly. Snacks that are low in calories, fat, and sugar will keep your body from being filled with the things it doesn’t need, leading to better health and weight management.
Here are some “dietitian approved” snacks to keep on hand at work so you can stay energized and satisfied.
- Celery or apples with peanut butter
- Banana with ¼ cup of nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios, etc.)
- Blueberries with Babybel cheese
- Small mug of soup
- Veggies with hummus (a spread made from ground chickpeas, olive oil, lemon, salt, and garlic)
- Whole grain crackers with low-fat cheese
- High-fiber or high-protein granola bar (KIND bars, Fiber-One, bars, or similar products)
- Yogurt Parfait
Layered Fruit & Yogurt Cup
This recipe is full of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals to keep you full and satisfied throughout your work day. This works as a snack, breakfast, or part of your lunch.
- 4 cups plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, stems removed and sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup Multi-Grain Cheerios or other crunchy cereal (low-fat granola, Wheat Chex, Special K)
- Rinse strawberries and blueberries and pat dry. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, honey, and vanilla extract.
- Layer ingredients into 4 tall glasses starting with a layer of yogurt. Follow with a layer of berries. Add a layer of cereal. Continue two more times, ending with berries and cereal.
- Serve Immediately
Nutrition: 248 calories, .3g fat, 136mg sodium, 2.4g dietary fiber