Old Cheney Farmers' Market Recipes by Chef Nazim
Enjoy healthy, delicious summer recipes from Bryan executive chef, Nazim Khan.
- Simple syrup: 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 3 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups ice cubes
- Bring sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes to make simple syrup. Then let it cool.
- Place the watermelon into a blender. Cover, and puree until smooth.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- Mix extracted juice with simple syrup, lemon juice, water.
- Pour over a glass of ice and enjoy!
Chicken Salad, Roasted Corn with Chipotle Mayo
- 2 cups corn (shaved from 4 ears of corn)
- 2 lbs. grilled (or boiled) chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup minced bottled roasted red peppers or 1/4 cup pimiento drained
- ½ cup diced tomato
- ¼ cup celery
- ½ cup scallion
Chipotle Mayo Ingredients:
- 1 chipotle canned chile
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 lemon juice and zest
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Roast shaved corn with a little olive oil, salt and pepper
- In a large bowl toss together diced tomato, roasted corn, chicken, cilantro, and red pepper, celery, scallion. Set aside.
- In a blender add the chipotle chile, tomato paste, lemon juice, lemon zest and Worcestershire. Blend it well. Then in a bowl fold the mayonnaise into a paste.
- In a bowl stir all ingredients together until combined well.
Roasted Beets and Goat Cheese Salad
- 4 beets, roasted
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup low-fat goat cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp tabasco
- Salt and pepper
- Roast beets: Wash beets & place on a sheet tray. Bake at 400º for 45 mins.-1 hr. (depending on size). Test beets with a fork to see if cooked inside. Remove and let cool slightly. Peel & set aside.
- Vinaigrette: Combine chives, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard & tabasco. S&P to taste.
- In a bowl, add just enough dressing to coat lettuce leaves. Divide salad on plates, top with red onion & sprinkle with goat cheese.
A Japanese recipe for cucumbers marinated in vinegar, sugar, salt and ginger.
Delicious and simple!
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
- Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and scoop out any large seeds. Slice crosswise into very thin slices.
- In a small bowl combine vinegar, sugar, salt and ginger.
- Pour the dressing over cucumber slices. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.