Doctor, Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant and Others
An advanced career in the medical field is very rewarding. By shadowing you’ll develop a better understanding of the career path you’re interested in and develop professional relationships with your provider.
Health care providers may include: doctors, dentists, podiatrists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, certified nurse midwives, certified registered nurse anesthetists.
Note: It is your responsibility to arrange shadowing directly with providers. We do not do this for you. Consider asking your primary provider or contact a specialty provider group that interests you.
- Must be 16 years of age and older for provider shadowing
- Must be 18 years of age and older of age to shadow in the operating room, emergency department, labor and delivery and trauma services department
- Meet immunization requirements
To shadow at Bryan Medical Center, history of immunity/immunizations for the following diseases is required:
- COVID-19 proof of vaccination
(Must submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination before shadowing – can be hand delivered to Medical Staff Services when picking up the ID badge or emailed to email@example.com)
- Mumps, Rubella, Rubeola (MMR)
- Varicella or past history of chickenpox
- Hepatitis B
- Influenza vaccine (required September 1-April 30); must be received at least two weeks in advance of shadowing within the required period
- Negative tuberculin (TB) skin test or follow-up care for previously positive TB skin test (required completion within the last two years)
- DPT/TDAP (Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus)
Important COVID-19 Information
- All individuals entering the building will assume responsibility for self-screening prior to arriving—this means they are COVID-19 symptom free and healthy to be around patients and others.
- COVID self-monitoring
- Individuals must self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms at all times
- Fever, chills
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty breathing
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Individuals must not enter COVID-19 units or care for COVID-19 positive or patients under investigation (PUI) for COVID-19
Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- You must follow the Bryan Health policy for Personal Protective Equipment (i.e. masks, googles)
Provider Shadowing Steps
To Set-Up a Shadowing Experience
- Contact a provider or provider’s office to ask if they allow shadowing. Consider asking your primary provider or contact a specialty provider group that interests you.
- If shadowing is available, obtain the following:
- Provider name
- Shadowing date and time
- Location to meet and date you're shadowing
Note: The above steps must be completed before moving forward.
- Once your shadowing experience is arranged, complete the required Computer Based Learning (CBL) module and the online shadowing form at least 48 hours before your shadowing experience, which appears after you finish the CBL. In order for you to shadow, the CBL and online shadowing form must be completed.
If you are under 18 years of age, print and complete the parent permission and immunization forms on the inquiry form. Submit your completed forms to Bryan Medical Staff Services. You can scan, email, fax or hand deliver your forms.
Medical Staff Services Office Location:
Bryan East Campus, 1600 S. 48th St.
Hours: 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday and 7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Friday
Day of Your Shadowing Experience
- Perform self-screening to assure you are COVID-symptom free and healthy to be around patients and others.
- Dress in business casual attire with closed toed shoes.
- Leave your cell phone at home or in your car.
- Wear a mask into the building.
- Pick up your name badge at Bryan Medical Staff Services, Bryan East Campus.
You cannot shadow if you don't have your name badge.
Medical Staff Services Office location: Bryan East Campus, 1600 S. 48th St.
Hours: 7:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday and 7:30 a.m.- 3:30 p.m., Friday
- Report for shadowing at the time and place determined between you and the provider you will shadow.
After Your Shadowing Experience
- Remember that patient confidentiality rules continue to apply after your shadowing experience.
- Consider writing a thank you note to the provider you shadowed. Bryan Medical Staff Services can mail this to the provider for you.
Questions about doctor, nurse practitioner, physician assistant or other provider shadowing?
Call Medical Staff Services at 402-481-8956.