Gain experiences to the rewarding career opportunities in health care
Want to see first-hand what it’s like to work in health care? Check out our job shadowing opportunities. No matter what area you’re interested in – patient care, administration, education or other areas, we encourage you to consider job shadowing. You’ll learn more about your area of interest from our experienced, expert staff.
Job shadowing opportunities:
- Are designed to be a one-time observation experience, lasting two to four hours
- Do not fulfill any clinical or internship requirements
- Do not provide any hands-on experience for safety purposes
High School Students
We highly encourage high school students to research the following community programs prior to considering shadowing:
Two different job shadowing options based on your career interests:
Department Shadowing (Non-Doctor)
See first-hand what it’s like to work in the many different areas of health care. Choose the professional or clinical area of interest to you and job shadow one of our experienced, expert staff members. You’ll learn about your career interest and also develop professional connections with those you shadow.
Department (non-doctor) shadowing opportunities include:
Please note: At this time, shadowing nurses is unavailable.
- Biomedical Electronics
- Care Management
- Child Development Center
- Physical Therapist (PT)
- Occupational Therapist (OT)
- Speech Therapy
- Public Relations
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutrition and Dining
All shadowing requests are approved by department managers and will be granted based on available staff and individual department workload.
Requirements for Department (Non-Doctor) Shadowing
- Must be 18 years of age and older
- Must be a high school graduate or have your GED
- Must be an undergraduate college student or above or enrolled in a health care program
- Meet immunization requirements
Learn more and take steps to begin your shadowing opportunity today!
Access to a printer is required to complete the application process.
Provider Shadowing (Doctor, Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant and Others)
An advanced career in the medical field is very rewarding. You can learn all about your area of interest and see first-hand what it’s like to work as a health care provider.
Health care providers may include: doctors, dentists, podiatrists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, certified nurse midwives, certified registered nurse anesthetists.
Note: It is your responsibility to arrange shadowing directly with providers. We do not do this for you. Consider asking your primary provider or contact a specialty provider group that interests you.
Provider Shadowing Requirements
Learn more and take steps to begin your provider shadowing opportunity today!
- Must be 16 years of age and older for provider shadowing
- Must be 18 years of age and older of age to shadow in the operating room, emergency department, labor and delivery and trauma services department
- Meet immunization requirements
Access to a printer may be required to complete the application process.
Important COVID-19 Information
- All individuals entering the building will assume responsibility for self-screening prior to arriving—this means they are COVID symptom free and healthy to be around patients and others.
- COVID self-monitoring
- Individuals must self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms at all times
- Fever, chills
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty breathing
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Individuals must not enter COVID units or care for COVID positive or patients under investigation (PUI) for COVID
Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- You will be required to wear a mask while in the building. Surgical masks are available on clinical units
- When in patient rooms, a surgical mask and goggles or a face shield must be worn