A Trauma Center is a hospital that is committed to caring for critically injured patients, and is verified or designated by an outside authority to provide:
- Trauma Team of trauma-trained professionals, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- A multidisciplinary team of professionals needed for the complex care of severely injured patients.
- Immediate operating room availability 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- ICU with trauma-trained nurses and allied health professionals to provide expertise in critical care.
- Specialized equipment for diagnosing and treating traumatic injuries.
- A comprehensive Trauma Registry to provide data needed for the trauma program and the trauma system.
- A Performance Improvement Program to actively seek areas for improving the care of injured patients.
- A Trauma Prevention and Education Program.
- Participation in regional and state Trauma System development and improvement.